Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Tuesday 31 January 2012

27th November: Gear of 'war'

Well I've gone and bought some gear for the marathons... One of the fundamentals: A new pair of trainers. I've nearly worn-out my current pair of Asics, ones specifically for cross-country running and gone for a pair of trail-running ones, the 'Gel Lahar 2 GTX':


I've opted for Asics as I love the pair I currently own, even though all the stuff on the web for trail-running seems to push people towards Saucony, Inov8, Salomon and Brooks. When I have run the off-road races in the past I have looked to see what those around me wear and the overwhelming choice, about 80-90% is Asics with New Balance and Adidas being the next most numerous... No Nike though!

  

Having looked at the differences between the Asics and the likes of the Saucony, the main comment has been about the grips underneath being superior on Saucony etc, but the grips on this Asics pair seem more than adequate, and offer far more than my current ones which have been fine on trails, The uppers are also Gore-Tex as well so my feet should stay dry whilst able to breath... Oh and they are a fair bit cheaper if you shop-around :)

I've also made the purchase of a back-pack with provision for an hydration system incorporated in to it. I've opted for a 3L CamelBak as they are the biggest bladder you can get as I will be doing some of the marathons unsupported so carrying my own fluid is a given. Rather than just a running back-pack I've gone for a larger more general purpose one for use in other situations:

 

This Karrimor Wind has a curved rigid back that holds the pack away from your back to stop you from sweating and preventing any chafing from the sweat-drenched top being worn. One of the features I like about this is the pocket in the closing flap which zips behind your head so the pocket is easily accessible whilst you run and does not necessitate the dropping of the bag to fumble your way in to it.

Looking at the list of prerequisites for running in the CTS races, you need to have a back pack with hydration system, as well as the following: survival 'space blanket', medical kit, emergency whistle, phone, food bars oh and a hat as well as a wind-proof jacket, so there will be more to be purchased just to allow me to start their marathons!.. On top of the entry fees this could get quite expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment