Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Monday 30 January 2012

20th November: Advice from the scarred and hardened

As time has progressed and I have told more people around me of my plans, the reaction has been for the most part either: 'Why?' or 'You need your head read'... There has been a group of exceptions however in those people who I know who have run marathons and I have freely tapped in to them for advice.


The main advice has been on the old bodily functions side:


Speaking to Matt who managed to run the London Marathon earlier this year, he said he dosed himself with so many diacalms that he almost didn't take a dump for a week rather than start to turtle mid race!.. The other point on this front was to not over hydrate yourself as it will work its way through you sooner rather than later; just make sure you take a leak as close to the start of the race as you possibly can!


Wear and tear on the body was another topic for advice, mostly chafing related! Simply put, I have been advised to lube-up any prone or tender parts that are known to chafe with Vaseline to try and prevent it. Matt also suggested shaving between legs and arse cheeks, as by the time he reached the end of his marathon, everything had knitted together like wool and was tearing with every stride. He said he certainly knows that his missus is a keeper after she sat there as he laid on the bed butt-naked, cutting out the matted balls of hair.


Wearing any new gear is a no-no as if you're not used to it it can be uncomfortable, especially trainers and the last thing you need is a blister forming.


As you get closer to the end and your body is burning fat, the pain is building, every part of you is screaming to stop and the end seems an eternity away, it really is a case of, as cliched as it sounds, mind over matter: you need to dig deep, force yourself to keep going no matter and remind yourself continuously that the next step takes you one closer to the end.


Pini also mentioned to pay particular attention to the route and not to necessarily follow the person in front as you may take a wrong turn yourself, or you may be following someone on the wrong direction, and all of a sudden the marathon becomes an ultra marathon and all hopes of posting a decent time are forgotten about.


Taking on board nutrients and water is something you need to do. You may be able to get away without on a half marathon but you will not on a full distance. Gels, jelly babies (or any sugared jelly sweets) and isotonic drinks are a must. A banana before perhaps, and a good recovery protein-drink after to settle the muscles and reduce damage... Although to me that need for protein sounds like a good excuse for a bacon and egg sanger :)


With the gels I have been advised to try in advance and make sure my body can handle them as some find them difficult to digest on the move... In light of that I think I'll stick to the 'SIS Go' gels as I tried a cola one during the duathlon and it seemed to work ok.


I'm sure others will have other different advice for me and no doubt I'll be posting their pearls of wisdom on here as well as my findings from running the distance myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment