Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Tuesday 7 April 2015

31st December: A Festive 500

After last year’s failure in this (mechanical issues not ‘me’ issues) I managed to achieve what I wanted and completed the challenge set by Strava and Rapha to cycle 500km (320 miles) between Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Last year my plan had been worked out as a daily average where I was to go out and ride between 40 and 50 miles a day, but this fell apart when my bike did likewise, and having this daily set distance did not allow for much (if any) flexibility, plus trying to motivate myself to go out on 2 rides which were essentially on the same route on the same day was difficult and felt more like a chore than anything enjoyable.

This time round I decided to hit the ground hard (or hit the road hard in this case) and try to get as much done as soon as possible, especially with the weather being favourable. I also planned on not cycling the same route twice, although some stretches of road would be covered twice or in opposite directions; the whole point was not to let the cycling become a chore.

As documented on the blog previously, I went out on Christmas Eve and chalked-off 100 of those miles in the first day, so come Christmas Day the pressure was off with regards to getting out and putting down some big miles, so I went out for around 20 (with an arse that felt like concrete from the previous day’s exertion). Boxing Day saw an increase to 32 - both of these routes keeping me close to home on well-cycled routes of mine.

After the 2 day break over the weekend for the ostrich running I needed to get back into the longer rides to complete the challenge successfully, so a trio of 38, 80 and 42 miles brought me to my target with much relief to be had for my very sore backside.

Forcing myself to cycle routes I had not done so before gave me a greater idea as to where I can take myself in the future and I certainly enjoyed being out on the road with my iPod on listening to my podcasts, savouring the sights of the countryside. It also has helped me to keep very active over Christmas and minimise the potential for any weight gain as I was going to be damned if I was to cut-down on any of the good food and drink that was to be around this week.

Whilst clocking-up this mileage is impressive, and I am pretty chuffed with myself for achieving this at the second attempt, LSS was not impressed with me for doing so: She has informed me in no uncertain terms that if I am to repeat this in the future and essentially disappear for Christmas week on my bike - one of the few times when you can guarantee to be off from work at the same time as each other, then my bike will be dismantled and disposed of in various places along the canal.

The boss has spoken!


Eat pies.
Drink beer.
Cycle far.

No comments:

Post a Comment