Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Monday 9 May 2016

20th December: Portsmouth Coasting

I ran the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon today for the third time… Not much else to say really! I might as well put it all out on front-street here and admit that I was completely unfit and in poor condition to achieve my original goal for this race of a sub-4 hour time, so I just went out this morning to complete the run and round-off 2015 with a finish in my 50th marathon.

Last year I was slower than I had hoped because of the recovery from the flu, but this time my lack of pace was through a general malaise when it came to putting-in training hours over the weeks before hand and readily getting in to the Christmas spirit of eating, drinking and being merry a bit more than I should have!.. Also going out for the 'Happy Hookers' Christmas meal the night before and eating 1.5 Christmas dinners and washing it down with a couple of pints was probably not ideal last-minute prep for race day!..

Well I managed to drag, or should that be wobble my arse around the course, which is flat and fast (and pretty unspectacular for photography), to chalk-off a pretty big milestone even if it was in an underwhelming manner.

At the finish the goody-bag had a buff - always useful, a bottle of beer and the finishers medal which has a built-in bottle opener.

I was met at the finish by my long-time friend from Uni and Pompey resident Claire, to whom I am scheduled to hand the baton to in the Great British Relay in 2016, so had a good recovery cuppa and chin-wag at her sea-front gaff overlooking the sea as the sun waned and set before heading back home, fortunately to no LSS with a broken nose like last year... LSS insists that Spud did it deliberately in revenge for taking him to the vets a couple of weeks before to have his nuts off!



So here ends 2015's adventures, and here's to 2016 and bigger things with any luck!

Eat pies.
Drink beer.
Run far.








No comments:

Post a Comment