Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Monday 20 January 2014

12th January: Buaidh no bas

Just before Christmas I managed to grab a bit of time to myself to do something I've been meaning to have done since I was 18... Get a tattoo!

Over the years I've had various ideas of what to have done, but never made an effort to go out and commit to one.

Watching an episode of Comic Book Men last year I saw Kevin Smith reveal where he had a tattoo done and realised it was also the perfect place for me... and I already had in mind what was to be done.

After researching fonts I finally had what I was wanting and how it should look.

On my mother's side I am of the clan McNeill of Barra. The motto of the clan as found on the arms of the clan chief is 'buaidh no bas' (bwee no bahs) - gaelic for 'victory or death'.

This is what I have gone for on the inside of my right forearm in celtic script. It is there to remind me, be it in my normal life or on one of my runs, that when the chips are down and times are hard that quitting is not an option: It's victory or death.

The tattoo's purpose is not to scream out at people and make a statement, it's designed to be inconspicuous, but also there in my sight all the time to remind and inspire...

Incidentally it will also be on-show if I'm snapped at races pulling a moose when my sleeves are up, so I guess it will feature vicariously on the blog a few times.




1 comment:

  1. Love it, I'm on my mother's side of the clan Macneill of Barra too 😉

    ReplyDelete